Saint Mary's College-Political Communication

Upper division Communication Studies course discussing politics from a communication perspective.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Clinton for Mayor?

Recently, I read the New York Times article that reported New York City Mayor Bloomberg has asked Secretary of State Hilary Clinton to consider running for his position.  It is an interesting to think of Clinton becoming Mayor of New York City. In the article it talks about how Bloomberg reached out to Clinton regarding the position. He believes her to be a great choice for mayor. But really would the Secretary of State become a mayor after working in such a high position. Would it not be more fitting for her to run for President next time around. Clinton did tell Bloomberg that she did not want to run for mayor.
Two things I find interesting about this article. First, is the idea that Bloomberg regards being Mayor of New York City almost equal to being President. Yes, New York City is a large and important city but is it that important? Bloomberg's main concern is finding someone who is fitting to run the city after his final term but Clinton seems to be a bit of a reach. Especially when it seems he does have someone who is interested in the position, and has been working with him for years, Ms. Quinn who is the City Council Speaker. Bloomberg may need to rethink some of his views on the importance of the "Big Apple".  It is great that he wants who he believes is the best but maybe he should focus on a more feasible option.
Second, the article makes me think of what politicians do after they reach a certain point in their political career. If Clinton were no longer Secretary of State would she return to New York and run for Senate again? Or run for President? But what if those options were not available or even possible? Could Clinton become mayor? There is a point I feel where politicians who have held positions of power can not rise anymore but also no longer can stay in their position of power. For example, those who run for President, like Romney, how easy is it for them to try and run for a smaller position. The more I think about it the less possible it is for me to see some like Hilary Clinton or Mitt Romney running for mayor of a city. So what happens once you reach a certain point?   

8 Comments:

Blogger meditator said...

Wow. I wonder/doubt if Bloomberg would have asked the secretary of state to be the mayor of New York City if that secretary of state was a man. Seems a little sexist to me...

12:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Personally, I think that Clinton is better suited to a higher office. She has all the experience to continue to excel in national level office. If she does want a lower level job, maybe mayor of a major city would a nice place to 'retire'.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Ambreen said...

It does make an interesting point that, if a politician doesn't want to retire, but also doesn't want to stay their current position, is there pressure to only move up? Are they judged for taking lower positions? I do think if she decided to run for a position like the mayor that she would easily win, but I think people would be very disappointed. Personally, I'm all for Clinton for Pres 2016. I also think it'll be interesting to see where Romney goes after losing the election.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My bad, I know, but when I read the title I thought you were talking about Bill Clinton and I though "Hum... he is not doing anything important nowadays, so why not?!" Sorry for that, my bad!
However my mistake is useful to understand your last point, about imagening that Hillary had not reach this high position, would she run for mayor? Or even if, as her husband, were not doing anything in politics, but still want to be active, would not this be a great oportunity!
I think maybe the invitation went to the wrong Clinton!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My bad, I know, but when I read the title I thought you were talking about Bill Clinton and I though "Hum... he is not doing anything important nowadays, so why not?!" Sorry for that, my bad!
However my mistake is useful to understand your last point, about imagening that Hillary had not reach this high position, would she run for mayor? Or even if, as her husband, were not doing anything in politics, but still want to be active, would not this be a great oportunity!
I think maybe the invitation went to the wrong Clinton!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Sylvia.Rojas said...

I agree with Sarah. Bloomberg's comparison was a tad-bit off, I mean being president to being mayor of NY city is very different in comparison. Clinton is way too much of a bad-ass to just 'retire.'She should be a presidential candidate!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Sylvia.Rojas said...

I agree with Sarah, I think you said it right. Clinton is way too much of a bad-ass to just give up her role as potential president and settle with the major of NY position. Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome of her to be the major of NY City, but no Bloomberg you are wrong. Being Major and being President are two different jobs completely. For example, one looks at one city while the other looks after 51 states. (Puerto Rico anyone?)I think so

2:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Clinton belongs in a higher office. She has so mny years of experience that she should upgrade to the President. I would have voted forher in a minute, I really like her. On the other hand, I would love to run for Mayor after being in a high position. Especially after a long career in the white house. Being mayor would be like retirement for Clinton. She would probably be great at it.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home