Saint Mary's College-Political Communication

Upper division Communication Studies course discussing politics from a communication perspective.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Self-Educated or "Parakeet"- Children and Politics

There are a number of articles and sources that talk about how parents should address the topic of politics with their children. On one hand, it is extremely important for parents to introduce political concepts to their children, BUT is it possible that their political views will be influenced by these parents? This is where self-education comes in. Sometimes, children/ young adults are interested in politics to the point where they want to discover them on their own and develop their own views. However, often times (as was the case for my own interest in politics), children act as "parakeets" of their parent's political views. When I was younger and not able to vote, I found myself thinking that I did not understand the concept of being a Republican, but I knew that I was one. The truth of the matter is, it all comes down to communication and how these political ideas are addressed.

Today social media allows parents, who are struggling with how to introduce political concepts to their children, to interact with other parents who experience similar problems . Twitter feeds like Parents on Politics (which can be located here) provide parents with ideas on how to present this information as well as what other parents are thinking on the same topic. Another Twitter feed, also called Parents on Politics (found here) provides a bit more of a biased view as it "appears" to be a Democratic parent who enjoys tweeting about politics. Both of these offer different views on politics. While one is more of an input and helpful source, the other focuses on what someone thinks about political issues from a parent's perspective. Both feeds can help in the process of communicating politics to children in different ways. In another way, blogs like Parent's on Politics, offer a similar situation where parents can talk about how they addressed certain issues and how successful they have been. The blog offers a question of the week on popular political issues giving responding parents a good amount of response time.

As we have studied in class, social media has a huge impact on people's political ideals. Sites like the ones mentioned above are a form of communication that can assist in relaying messages to both,  parents who visit the sites and their children, should they decide to take the advice or address different topics. The way parents communicate the importance of politics determines whether the child will be self-educated on politics or a "parakeet" to their parent's own beliefs. A website on children's health says, "Knowing what kids think about these [political] issues and how they might affect your family is important. Talking about it not only helps to promote learning and develop critical thinking skills, but also lets you clarify any misconceptions your kids may have or calm any fears about the future." The article talks about how children are affected by social media in politics, though many parents like to believe that their children will not pick up on it. The article stresses how talking about politics with children also teaches them about the way the world works. The author suggests that parents who address political issues with their children, "keep it positive, be reassuring, and suggest they get involved." The truth is, the future of the United States' government will one day rely on these young peoples' votes and it is important that they are educated, even if they seem young. Also, articles stressing the importance of communication within the family have been published by The Huffington Post and The Wasington Post.

13 Comments:

Blogger gina althoff said...

Great post Bridget! My high school government class was a cage full of parakeets. It was extremely frustrating to see people so closed off to other options and defending thoughts that were not even their own. Luckily, I have not seen that as much in Political Comm. Maybe we have all learned to think for ourselves and self-educate at this point of our lives or maybe I just don't know anyone's parents. Regardless, I think it's a good idea to encourage political exploration for children and you share some great resources to do so!

4:31 AM  
Blogger KelseyM said...

I think your post touches on an important topic that is not often discussed as we normally just hear about voters and not those who will soon be voters. I feel that children picking up their parents’ political leanings is not at all uncommon. I like that you posted sites for information, especially on how to explain issues to children (I’m assuming older kids) without only presenting one side. I think it’s critical that teenagers and older children start developing their own political views so that when they are able to vote, they feel they can make an informed decision not solely based on the opinions they’ve heard at home. It’s great to encourage research into political knowledge, especially as there are already too many adults who can vote but are not well-educated about political issues.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Lauren S. said...

Coming to college helped me realize that many of my views were based on what my parents thought and said. But since going away to college and developing my views more strongly. I could say before college I was probably a bit of a parakeet. I have learned that just because my parent have certain beliefs I do not always share those. I think that it is important for parents and their children to communicate about politics especially when they will have an effect on their futures. It is true that many parents do it in a way that stresses a certain view but at least they are helping educate their children. The more open parents and children are about politics the better they can understand others views because so often it is taboo to discuss politics in social situations and people often avoid those who they know will disagree with them. It is more likely people will be more open and honest will relatives. Or at least I hope they would be.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really like this post. Growing up my parents would never tell me what political party they were for or even give me the slightest hint of who they favored. I remember going to school days after elections and all the kids were always commenting on who their parents voted for. That never seemed important to me, I just never said anything. My parents believed that it was my responsibility to research and gather knowledge on candidates and political parties for myself, and they would support whatever side I chose. Coincidentally I chose the same party as them. I will also do the same with my children. It is critical that children and the younger generation develop their own political interest and choices.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Hailey Shannon said...

While reading this I immediately thought about a time in my second grade class, the election of 2000 between George W. Bush and Al Gore, when we did a mock election in class. Thinking back that seems like a pretty stupid concept because what 7 or 8 year old even knows anything about politics other than who their parents may be voting for? I know I voted for Bush because my parents were going to vote for Bush and at that time it was a good enough reason for me. Anyway, at 7 or 8 years old a child probably doesn't know much about politics and I never thought about educating children about that kind of stuff before reading this. It is very important to make sure children are being informed of this kind of stuff as they grow up and start to form their own beliefs and ideals.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is an important issue and I am so glad that you addressed it Bridget! I feel that we all have known 'parakeets' in some point in our life and this is concerning. Instead of kids going along with ideas they do not agree with they need to start exploring politics from a young age, that way they can form their own ideas and when they are asked why they believe something they can give a thoughtful answer and in turn a thoughtful vote.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely was never educated by my parents on political points of view, which left me to my own devices during my senior year of high school: in the midst of the 2008 election, I had no idea which party I identified with, and although my dad works for the government I found I had a lack of interest because my parents never talked to me about these things. I love the idea of the Parents On Politics blogs and Twitter feeds. Because of my own experience, I do believe that children should be informed...and definitely in the most unbiased way possible.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Mileva Brunson said...

Great post! Growing up, I was never really sure where my parents' political allegiances truly were, and this allowed me to grow into my own personal political beliefs. While my parents and I may differ on a few of our political ideals now, I am grateful that they raised in a neutral political environment.
And like most of us, I have experienced many 'parakeets'. Especially in a time of very polarized views, I think it would be greatly beneficial to educate children on the platforms of each party and encourage exploration of personal political views from a young age and to also stress to parents not to allow parakeeting, and to encourage this for their children as well.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Ambreen said...

This is a great post and I like the links you posted! I have definitely come into my own political views - without the help of my parents. I am glad that I was raised in a neutral environment. My parents would watch different partisan news sites, so I never got an idea of where they stood. They still do today (only now that I understand Fox News and Bill O Reilly, I can barely stand it) but either way, I admire their ability to listen to both sides and am glad that I was able to develop my own political views.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just loved this post! I am sorry, guys, but this one is my favorite!
In Brazil it not normal to see a teenager talking about politics in a serious and well informed way. We can even see a lot of young adults as Parakeet.
It is so far of my reality to think kids starting their interest about politics. This is really great!
This post is really interesting.

9:06 PM  
Blogger KrisR13 said...

Social Media allows for the youth the give feedback and comment like they never have before. This is a wonderful post and I personally think its important for the younger generation to begin looking at politics critically and understanding them so that we they go to vote they understand exactly what they are voting for.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like this post. My parents never really preached on side to me so now I've made my own opinions, but I feel that anyone will start to make their own opinions when they become older. I think I will always lean towards the beliefs I was raiedaround but ultimately I've made my own decisions as I became older. Not all people are like that and they do get brain washed. My family has split views.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Sylvia.Rojas said...

What an interesting post Bridget! I really enjoyed reading this and finding out the different ways in which children learn about politics. I really agree with how the political party your parents agree with is just adapted as your own, even if you do not have knowledge of what it means to be 'republican.' It is a good question to ask because politics can be such a controversial subject. Such as rise questions such the death penalty, how do you explain that? With the uses of social media, politics will only become more evident throughout a child's life. Rising the question, how do we communicate politics to children?

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home