Saint Mary's College-Political Communication

Upper division Communication Studies course discussing politics from a communication perspective.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pro-Life or Pro-Choice: The Topic of The 2012 Election


It is finally here, the day which America has been awaiting.  It is Election Day!  I have found it quite interesting being in America to experience firsthand the election and the campaign.  One of the most discussed issues, in my opinion, of this year’s campaign was that of abortion.  Or to be politically correct the differing views of the pro-choice and pro-life stances.  The Republican and Democratic candidates hold two very differing views on this issue.  I found it interesting that it was such a big topic (not trying to down play its importance) for the campaign.

By now we all know where they stand; President Obama believes in the protection of women’s rights (see his website here).  On the other side, Mitt Romney is strongly opposed to abortion (see his website here). 

When thinking more about this topic I begin to question when an issue should become political.  I was discussing this issue with my friends the other day within a discussion of who they are voting for and why.  One of my friends said she is purely voting for Romney purely because he is pro-life, whilst the other understands both sides but is siding with Obama and being pro-choice.  Then they asked me what I would do.  I am not at all afraid to share my views, especially on this issue.  I replied to them by saying whilst I personally am pro-life, I would make policies which are pro-choice.  My reasoning was more to allow others to make up their own mind.  I do not think it is right for someone to tell another that they cannot have an abortion.  Some may find it contradictory, but I do not.  I think the issue is one of choice and to me that is an easy decision, give people equal chances to choose and make decisions for their lives. 

An interesting article I found discussing the two viewpoints.  It discusses how this election may yet be determined by women as women’s issues have played such a large role.  The most interesting part of this article is how they talked to various famous women to get their views.  Eva Longoria, Kerry Washington and Scarlett Johannson are all Obama supporters and are all encouraging women to vote Obama and keep women’s rights in place.  It does not however, show who supports Romney and his views on the issue.  I did have a look for such information but I could not find any female celebrity supporters of Romney's women's rights views. 

CBS also produced an article discussing this matter.  I found it to be well written and balanced.  It discusses two attack television advertisements, one from camp Obama and one from Romney supporters.  Obama’s ad focused on using what Romney has campaigned on and what he has previously said.  Whilst Romney’s supporter’s ad discusses the changed which Obama will make to medicare.  Both advertisements (which can be viewed on the CBS webpage provided) are only shown in selected states.      

From doing this blog post I have come to realise how big the issue actually is and how much information there is out there.  In the past having such pubic discussions on issues of this nature may well have been taboo, but nowadays it is not.  Still I pose the question when does an issue become political?  Men’s rights and their body’s rights are in no way discussed in the same magnitude.  Is this fair? And just?  I still find it strangely fascinating.  What do you think? 

2 Comments:

Blogger Hailey Shannon said...

Sarah, I could not agree more with your stance on this issue. I find myself looking at abortion the same way, I personally would not do it, but I don't think its anyone's job to tell others what they can and can't do with their bodies. I also was VERY surprised that this was such a large issue and became so important in the election. I tend to look at the presidential election a little bit different than most people. While I consider myself a right wing republican, I don't necessarily think people should always vote strictly on the party. I think that each time we have an election (at least in the time I can remember) there is one pressing issue that should be the main focus. This year I thought the most important thing effecting Americans, especially our generation going into the job market in the near future, was the state of our economy. While gay rights, abortion, and the environment are all important issues, I think the economy was the #1 concern in 2012. Honestly, it frustrated me that women's rights, abortion, and contraception laws became such focused on topics. They are important and should be considered, but I believe that this year the economy should have been the main focus of the candidates and the voters. Not that the other issues aren't of concern, but I think sometimes during an election there are things that take precedence over other stuff for that particular year.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, great posting! I have to agree with you and Hailey on the idea of being pro-life but believing, in contrast, that women should not be told the choices that they can make about their bodies, one way or another. As a feminist, I would have to say that I found it to be pleasing that women's rights were so prominent in this years election...however, I also believe (along with Hailey) that the economy should have been the main focus. An interesting thought...I wonder what the first step is of making an issue more prominent than another in any given election??

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home