Saint Mary's College-Political Communication

Upper division Communication Studies course discussing politics from a communication perspective.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

CNN's Election Night Holograms

As we are moving into more unconventional areas of political communication, I thought I would add links to the CNN holograms that I mentioned in class today. The first holographic interview, in which reporter Jessica Yellin was "beamed" into the CNN Election Center, is here. In class, I failed to mention that Anderson Cooper later interviewed a hologram of singer will.i.am. That interview is linked here. So, is this a one-night wonder or is "holographic journalism" here to stay?

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan O'Neill said...

I hope the holograms were a one-night wonder. I know it is a portion of entertaining the media by updating the ways of communication, but this was a little over the top. If anything, I would have tried using holograms during a regular evening broadcast instead of attempting it for the first time during election night. Holograms should be used as test runs to see how the public reacts to the image and then they should decide to use them or not based on the response from the polls.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I really hope the holograms make another appearance. They were so cool! Traditional news media often gets the reputation of being stuffy and boring. The holograms were a great example of news becoming more entertainment-oriented to reach a news-saturated audience.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home