Saint Mary's College-Political Communication

Upper division Communication Studies course discussing politics from a communication perspective.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Experimenting with Social Networks & Debates


Not all people enjoy watching debates. I am not someone that finds enjoyment in watching the debates because often they move too fast for me to understand fully what is going on. Watching the last presidential debate lived up to my standards and the stereotypes I had of debates in general. I turned this debate into an experiment for myself, one that was based on Speed versus Accuracy.
There is one thing that helps me understand debates more affectively and that is the activity on social networks during the debates. Whether it is facebook or twitter, social media has been just booming during the debates this year. It is easy to get a feel for what is going on in a debate with the click of a button, checking your social media.

In class we talked about the Incivility in politics and what the contributing factors were. Technology is one of the reasons, due to the problem of speed versus accuracy. When I thought about how much I depend on social networks for my understanding on politics I realize that it is not always the most accurate way to retrieve information. During this debate I was attached to my twitter and facebook to see what others had as reactions to comments made by the candidates.  The action on facebook and twitter during this debate blew prior ratings out of the water as you can read about here .

I did not watch the debate live; I recorded it so I could watch it after I had seen what those who I follow on social networks had to say about this. I went into this debate with a bit of an overview of what was going to go on, it was just time for me to compare the accuracy of the statements I read on the various social networks, versus what I actually saw and heard while watching the debate. I decided to look at the accuracy of my friends, and my assumptions based on their statements, versus what actually happened in the debate. One of the statements that made me anxious to watch the debate was one of the people I follow on twitter posted “Did he just say Obama’s Bin Laden? #debate”. Now, reading this I immediately assumed that this was something that Mitt Romney said during the debate, frankly I figured it was a mistake of his. After I watched the debate I realized that it was the moderator, Bob, who made the mistake when trying to mention Osama Bin Laden. It was the speed of the update on twitter and my friend’s lack of specificity that made my assumption incorrect.

Now the question is, whether or not this has a positive or negative affect on the American people and those who are going to vote. Articles say that due to social media, people do not watch the debates the same way that they used to, as mentioned in the article here.  I believe that this has a negative affect on the debate when people look at social networks before they watch the debate. Based upon who you are looking at on a social network can make you go into the debate with a different mindset. If you are looking at a credible source, such as NBC or CBS news, you have a greater chance of seeing information word, for word as said by the candidates. If you are looking at a friends social network you are more likely to get a one sided opinion or their interpretation of what the candidates have said. You're information will not be validated unless you go to the source itself, the actual debate.
 

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I definitely agree that people's personal biases come out through their social media- I checked my facebook after the last debate and the comments left me confused on who was stronger candidate or angry at the cruel words people were saying. You said it right- just go right to the source and make your own opinions.

9:39 PM  
Blogger KrisR13 said...

I think that social media is critical in terms of seeing the audience reaction. Since things like Facebook, Twitter, and etc. are personal there is going to be some bias. If people just watched social media I am sure that would present a lot of confusion because sometimes people on social media may not get their facts correct or may misinterpret something said during the debate. I do think that social media is wonderful for debates in terms of seeing the interest and what the reaction is to the debate.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Hailey Shannon said...

I think that forms of social media, especially Twitter have changed the way we look at news events. Especially things as important as a national election. It's crazy how quickly information comes to us nowadays. Even with the debate you can basically get a play-by-play just by reading your twitter feed. But because most of these opinions come from peers, they can be very biased. Social Media definitely plays a large roll in elections in the world today. They can offer great audience reactions, but we have to remember that they can also be biased.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Ambreen said...

I definitely think it is important to view debates for yourself before relying on social media to figure out what had happened. However, I do love following facebook and twitter while watching the debate to see people's reactions. One thing I wish that the debate would do while it was occurring was to have a "fact-checker" - to social media's credit, sometimes it can serve this purpose. There have been times where Romney or Obama (but mostly Romney) would say things and I would then see comments on social media that would explain how he is wrong/lying. These comments and posts would then provide evidence to support it. It can help provide a perspective to what we are hearing from the candidates and to not believe what they are saying as absolute truth.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home